Saturday, October 2, 2010

Being a Teacher: 2010


My favorite moments from my job this year:
*having a 16 year old say she needed a hug and asking me to give her a hug
*sewing the backpack straps for two 17 year olds
*getting a text from a 17 year old about Buddhism, yoga and meditation and her thoughts about my lecture
*being told by my boss that his daughter was curled up enjoying a book from my class
*getting an email from a former graduate that he missed my class
*getting a facebook message that a doctoral student is still using the research methods I taught her in 7th grade
*learning that my former student was told by his professor that he must have really learned how to write in high school

Take that "the media", Arne Duncan, Barack Obama and Michelle Rhee. I guess not every school is horrible! Please explain to me how to measure those things. Yes, students should pass tests, but HOW DO YOU MEASURE these things?

2 comments:

  1. I had some good teachers in high school, but I really wish you could have been one of them. To be told by a doctoral student that the methods you taught are still useful, that must be the best feeling in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a former teacher and we are good people. A good teacher really can change lives (I'm looking at you, Mr. Purdy!)

    ReplyDelete